Main menu

Pages

SKINS



Skins were one of the first shows I ever saw, and it was also one of the first shows I ever liked. Because it deals with the themes and concerns of adolescence, this British series developed by Jamie Brittain and Bryan Elsley plainly relates to young people - and thus to me. The premise is that it follows a group of young adults, with each individual getting their own episode to tell their narrative and deal with their challenges; each "gang" is a generation that spans two seasons. Skins covers a wide range of topics, including drugs, alcohol, sex, and more.
Unhappiness, love, friendship, disillusionment, and even death; but most importantly, growing up. This cycle is repeated three times (because the series spans three generations), each time from a new perspective and with a cast of mostly unknown actors portraying various roles. The eccentric nature of this series is perhaps what I enjoyed best about it. Indeed, it never ceases to astound us. In terms of shape, each season offers an extraordinary display of refined and synthetic colors and light, representing the joy, the lunacy, and, in short, the sensations of adolescence, or even more, of life. The scenes are also quite well shot. I can't forget to highlight the fantastic music that was performed throughout the seven seasons, which was really lyrical, magical, and spiritual, as seen by the highly colorful and joyous credits. What I've found with each generation is that it exposes the teenage side in the first part, then logically grows more grownup, more serious, but also darker in the second. Let's talk about the characters, every one of whom is distinct in his or her own manner. But, as the saying goes, to each his own, thus each generation didn't particularly appeal to me.I really enjoyed the first four seasons, which are extremely appealing (although season 4 is already starting to get boring). If I had to describe the three generations, the first is highly colorful, amusing, and even infantile. The second is significantly different since it depicts a trashier, crazier, and darker side of the character. Unfortunately, this made the third one a little "basic," with little innovation, and I was bored. The final season, on the other hand, is a bit of a departure because it signifies the end of youth and the beginning of maturity, so it's much more mature and brilliant. If I may say a few words about my preferences, I'd like to highlight Chris and Maxxie (generation 1) and Effy and Cook (generation 2 + season 7) as my favorite characters. Worst of all, I not only liked but also associated with these personalities, not only the ones I described. I recall wanting to be like Effy, to act like her, to dress like her...
What one could criticize about Skins is its exaggerated, abusive aspect, yet Skins is precisely the exaggeration of the non-exaggeration. And it manages to evoke feelings in us that make us think about a variety of topics that we will undoubtedly encounter in our lives. Skins is a great life lesson for me since it shows us what puberty is like for anyone who wants to grow in many ways. The last season exemplifies this so perfectly that the show was able to bring the series to a successful conclusion.In the idea that Skins has shown us so much and now we must move on, a mixture of delight and melancholy washed over me. As a result, the message was quite effective. I can't give it a perfect score because I felt bored and even irritated at points, but I enjoyed watching it and would suggest it to anyone.